Thursday, January 13, 2022

HIS BLOG: DAY 8498

Seventeen years ago, I decided there was no room in my heart for anyone but *her*.

Long after she passed, I broke my solemn vow and grew angry at the miserable circumstances of my life. My thoughts and words were clouded again, like before she saved me. I spend my days in solitude once more, despising the loneliness yet unwilling to embrace another horror. Recently, I began to debate the cost of one versus the benefit of another. I now venture beyond the patio, fearful that I will see her each time.

Before I made my way home today, I caught a glimpse of her between the market booths. Was she hiding from the persistent mist, early July’s attempt to delay summer glory in the Pacific Northwest? I don’t mind the rain. It poses less danger than the deep waters I have grown accustomed to.

No, it was me. I was the prey. She was following at a distance until the time was right, but she had lost her skill as our years advanced. I cannot place a date, but I have seen that face before. It was our time to meet.

“You are not her,” I declared when she turned the blind corner I had slipped past, then waited for my shadow to appear.

“Hello again, Andrew.”

Again?

“I can almost see it in your eyes. You’re trying to figure out the last time we spoke. Are you still talking to yourself in that weird, semi-lucid speech pattern?”

“I am,” I confessed. “On both counts.”

“God, the blog is entertaining to read, but I wish you would fucking stop talking like that.” Sometimes, I do as well.

I gestured towards a table by the food carts, where we could sit and talk. She was charming. She wasn’t *her*, but the fascination proved to be absorbing.

There was no need to react when she mentioned reading my words. I assumed everyone did.

She knew everything and had an opinion on everything. “Your idiosyncrasies have been entertaining to follow over the years. Angela found it ‘fetching.’ Yes, I think she used to use the term fetching.”

My heart warmed with thoughts of her and our time together. She always called me “fetching.”

“Peggy thought it was quirky, but just shrugged it off because you were an American.”

When she spoke her second name, fear built.

“How do you know her names?”

She raised a hand to my face, a signal to stop speaking. This was her time, her moment to share a well-practiced soliloquy.

“I first saw Angela when you brought her back home, where we grew up. I guess you wanted to show off those old stomping grounds. You were married five years at that point — you still looked like the 12-year-old boy I remembered from summer camp.”

Summer camp. My first hint.

“I mentioned it to my mom. She talked to your mom. We found out you were back from your adventures.”

I wanted to hear more, but Angela’s chapter was over.

“I kept in touch. I mean, I found you moved to Brussels. New life, new wife, huh?”

Peggy.

“Did you know I was there when you two met? After all those years, it was supposed to be my accidental run-in. I was about to call out your name when I saw that stupid look on your face again. You were standing in the middle of the street, staring into that shop. You saw her.

“I walked right up to you and whispered, ‘Elle est magnifique.’ I already realized there was no chance you would notice me that day.”

“Magnificent! I remember you.” I remembered a voice that would never be *her*.

Gorgeous. Close enough. Geez, eight months, and you never learned the language!” Even if I wanted to explain, it was not my turn to speak.

“Everything I planned vanished in the blink of an eye when you saw her. I was rejected again.”

Rejected again? My second hint.

“Four times before you met Hy’ing, we accidentally crossed paths.”

Valparaíso. Wonju. Köln. Singapore.

“Four times, but you never reached for me. You never attempted to connect.”

I recalled a face. “You weren’t her,” I confessed.

“Never say that again!” she yelled, slamming her fist on the table before taking a deep breath to re-center the calm and reiterate her mandate. “Never say that bullshit to me again. You broke my heart with those words as a child. We played in the pool, happy and laughing, until you looked at me with those sad eyes. ‘You are not her,’ you mumbled, turned, and just swam away.”

The pool. I remembered her.

“I sincerely apologize…” but the expression of remorse would never reach completion. Instead, her hand to my face again cut short all insincerity.

“I thought after Hy’ing you were a broken man.”

“I was,” came my assurance. “I am,” was my affirmation.

“That’s what I thought. It satisfies me to see you this way. I don’t try for a reunion anymore. I just like to read those pitiful words you post, to know that you feel the way I do, I mean did.” Her slip revealed more than she wanted.

I grew curious and had to know more.

“Then why today? What caused you to emerge from obscurity?”

“Emerge from obscurity?” she chuckled. “You are such a fucking tool.”

It wasn’t the answer I hoped for, so I re-inquired.

“Fine, why now? What do you want?”

“It’s simple,” she revealed. Raising her hand a third time, now directed away from me, she pointed into the crowd. “I wanted to stop you from meeting her.”

She was beautiful. For seventeen years, my heart lay dormant. When a drowning man cannot take a breath, there’s no need to circulate blood through his body. I remember my childhood, slipping into the water to stare at her body below the surface. I realized she was not *her*. Desire drained, but I maintained a yearning for more. My body needed the oxygen only a beating heart could provide. My lungs required the air above my head, beyond the water in which I was drowning. I looked up as I pressed my feet against the pool floor. Shooting to the surface, I could see air preparing to welcome me. My lungs would soon find the satisfaction of precious oxygen. My blood would quickly become vibrant, giving my heart the only thing it desired: a reason to pulse once more. I surfaced, made my declaration, then turned and swam away.

There was no reason to sit and stare when I saw *her* through today’s crowd. I pressed my feet to the ground, preparing to live after drowning for so many years. My heart rippled in anticipation of once again having a purpose. Before I exited our conversation, I felt a familiar breath whisper into my ear once more.

“I stopped you so I didn’t have to kill her again.”

What will versus What should be.

I smiled, at peace with my response to our game.