Thursday, September 5, 2002

HIS BLOG: DAY 1448

I wish it were possible to travel through time. I would visit the day we first met so many years ago. Not to interfere, but to bear witness. What was my reaction when I knew she was the one I desired? Was it the same image as my reflection in that glass today?

I had returned to the safety of isolation, writing these words to everybody instead of talking with anyone. Senseless conversations bored me; the only thought in my mind was always you are not her. Is detachment somehow necessary to find love?

Everything changed when I saw her today. It was foolish to assume she was waiting for me. Yet, could there have been any other reason for her to sit alone in that café, framed by the sash bars of its nine-panel storefront window, staring out to the Rue du Trône the moment I walked past? Impossible.

I felt a familiar breath whisper a word in my ear. Magnificent!

Saying goodbye to my love, I stepped into a new chapter.

“Excuse me,” I said while approaching her table. I planned to ask if I could join so that we might talk for a bit. Instead, she caught me off guard with an invitation to sit. My ability to form words declined as I listened and watched, falling in love with her once more.

Like me, she was far from a place she no longer claimed to be home. We were both searching for new starts. That silly girl swore our paths converged because her heart knew fortune would travel down the Rue du Trône, past that beautiful picture window looking into the café. She talks like I do.

That was the moment I discovered something never meant to be concealed. I know what I need, and she is enough.